October 22, 2018

Download Our App!

Site Search
Site Map
RSS Feeds
     
Auburn Working Fire
Posted On: Aug 27, 2008

 

Flower man saves day

,
Friday, February 15, 2008

PHOTO GALLERY
« Previous | Next »
thumbnails | gallery

AUBURN - A flower-delivery man likely saved a house from burning and a dog from dying for the perfect Valentine's Day gift Thursday.

No one was home when Ann's Flower Shop driver Douglas Haines tried to deliver flowers to 33 Lafayette St., according to firefighters. Haines, a former fire captain for the town of Poland, saw smoke coming from the house and dialed 911.

The house is on a dead-end street where the fire may have been missed if not for Haines.

Auburn firefighters arrived and quickly knocked down the blaze and pulled an unconscious dog from inside the home.

Firefighters carried 10-year-old Kasey, a lab mix, from the home, wrapped him in blankets and revived him with oxygen.

In the meantime, other firefighters from the Auburn and Lewiston departments were able to control the blaze and keep it confined to the kitchen and back room, fire officials said.

The fire was started by an electric stove burner that was left on, Fire Prevention Officer Gary Simard said. The house had lost power the night before, he said.

Kasey was later listed in stable condition at Lewiston Veterinary Hospital, a spokeswoman there said.

He was hooked up to fluids intravenously and was put on oxygen and steroid therapy in the intensive care unit. The veterinarians are encouraged by his recovery, the spokeswoman said, noting he'd wagged his tail during a short trip outdoors.

Assistant Auburn fire Chief Mike Minkowsky, one of the firefighters who attended to Kasey, said the dog was limp and had shallow breathing when he and others wrapped him in blankets and cleared his airway.

After about five minutes of getting oxygen, Kasey appeared to regain consciousness, Minkowsky said. He credited quick action by firefighters, who carried Kasey outside and went back inside the smoky house in search of other occupants.

"They really made a difference," Minkowsky said. "It was a great group effort."

The house, owned by Jeffrey and Rena Wilkins, sustained up to $75,000 damage and is uninhabitable but insured, Simard said. The Wilkinses are planning to stay with relatives, he said.

After talking to firefighters, Haines said he brought the flowers back to the shop rather than bothering Mrs. Wilkins. "I figured she had bigger things to worry about than flowers and balloons."


<< October 2018 >>
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30 31
Upcoming Events
Election Day --- VOTE!
Nov 06, 2018
Review Resolution for Organizing & Field Services Program
Nov 30, 2018
PFFM Annual Meeting
Jan 15, 2019
Augusta
IAFF 2019 ALTS Conference
Jan 21, 2019
Click Here for additional ALTS Conference Information & On-Line Registration.
Important Links
Visit www.iaff.org/about/history/main.htm!
Visit www.iaffmg.org/index.cfm!
Visit www.iaff.org/Comm/Spotlight/iraq.html!
Visit www.iaff.org/honor/roll.asp!
Visit www.firefightercancersupport.org/!
Visit www.unionsportsmen.org/!

Contact Elected Officials!
     
Professional Firefighters of Maine
Copyright © 2018, All Rights Reserved.
Powered By UnionActive™

924158 hits since Feb 10, 2011
Visit Unions-America.com!
Top of Page image